Your Personal Property & Contents Coverage C

A common question that I get from my customers relates to the Coverage C, or Personal Property (or as it is sometimes called –  Contents) Coverage. Frequently the coverage limit for this portion of a Homeowners or Dwelling insurance policy will be 50% of the Coverage A or Dwelling section. So if your Home or Condo (the dwelling) is covered for say $200,000 then usually the Personal Property coverage limit will be half of that, at $100,000 in this example. Some insurance companies will not let us, your Agent, decrease this limit. Many of my customers will say to me ‘I don’t think I have that much ‘stuff’ to ever get to the limit of this coverage. Perhaps this is true, and in the next Post here at Florida Insurance Guy we will uncover a few  ways to save money on this portion of your Homeowners Insurance.

For the moment, we will assume that the Insurance Carrier that we have for you will allow a reduction in the Personal Property coverage. This alone can reduce your insurance premium, as there would be less total losses for many of the covered claims such as a Fire, Smoke damage, Theft, and even Windstorm or Hurricane events. On the flip side, you don’t want to go to an extreme and under-insure yourself in this category. Having just gone through a tragic event such as a house fire and then finding out that you only had a minimal amount of Contents / Personal Property coverage would only compound your grief. Check with your Agent – ME – and we can get together and review to make sure that you have the correct coverage limits for your Coverage C Personal Property portion of your policy.

Next post will discuss ACV vs RC and then after that, keeping a list of your items with photographs to smooth out your record keeping for the possibility that you will need to verify your belonging in a Claim.

Stay Tuned for more good info here at Florida Insurance Guy dot com!


Keith Royle – Triton Insurance    Your ‘Florida Insurance Guy’


Leave a Reply